Wednesday, March 11

Chivas USA signs Mexican forward Eduardo Lillingston (& other notes)

Chivas USA today announched the signing of Mexican forward Eduardo Lillingston, who has been training with Chivas USA since the club’s preseason trip to Guadalajara in mid-February.

The 31-year-old is a 12-year veteran of the Mexican First Division, having appeared in 258 Mexican First Division matches, (118 starts), accumulating 11,198 minutes and recording 57 goals. He was a member of Toluca’s Verano 1998 and Invierno 2000 championship sides, and played and scored in Tecos’ Final appearance versus Club América (Clausura 2005).

Click here to listen to a brief interview with the new signing (in Spanish). Here are some of his translated answers:

Dentro del Rebaño: How do you feel now that you’re officially a member of the team?

Eduardo Lillingston: I’m very happy to remain here with Chivas USA, and happy to be with this group. I want to give my very best in MLS, for the fans, the team, and those who have given me this opportunity.

DdR: Had you ever thought you might play in MLS?

EL: The thought of playing for Chivas USA first crossed my mind about three or four years ago, but I didn’t think much about it because I was focused on Tecos [UAG, of the Mexican First Division]. Recently I thought about it again, and I got in touch with the staff of Chivas in Mexico, and I liked the idea. Now that I’m here, I’m very happy.

DdR: You’ve been practicing with the team a while now – what has that been like?

EL: It’s been difficult, because I haven’t been working this hard in a year, as I was trying to recover from an injury. I’ve been trying to give everything I had to earn a spot, and I was thrilled to get the news [that they wanted to sign me].

DdR: How have your teammates been treating you?

EL: Very well, they’ve treated me very well. I know a little English and that’s helped things along a little bit, and I’m adapting to these new circumstances. It’s a strong league, where you have to be strong, and fast too, and you’re not given much space on the field. But it’s great to have this new challenge.

Other notes from Chivas USA today:
  • Jorge Flores helped the United States Under-20 National Team qualify for the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup last night as the U.S. defeated El Salvador 2-0 last night in CONCACAF Qualifying. The full story can be found at USSoccer.com; Flores started the match and played 84 minutes at left back before receiving a red card in the 84th minute for an off-the-ball foul that occured when Flores got tangled up with an El Salvador player. The USYNT Blog may post an interview with Jorge tonight - we will link if and when they do.

  • Also, midfielder Jamie Franks, who was the Red-and-White's 4th round draft pick in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft, has left preseason camp as of yesterday.