Thursday, March 19

Chivas USA signs Mexican midfielder Mariano Trujillo (and other updates)

Chivas USA announced today the signing of Mexican midfielder Mariano Trujillo, a veteran of the Mexican First Division who has been training with the team for more than a month. Recently, Trujillo has been playing in defense with the Red-and-White, and is awaiting his International Transfer Certificate before he'll be eligible to play in MLS.
Click here for the full press releason on Trujillo joining the team, and here are quotes from the new signing:

On signing with Chivas USA ahead of the 2009 season:

“I’m really happy to join up with Chivas USA for the new season. It’s something I’d been hoping would happen for some time, and, thank God, it’s become a reality. Now I’m hoping that everything goes well this weekend and I can make my debut with the team.”

Had you thought before about giving MLS a try?

“Yes, I’d definitely thought about playing in MLS sooner rather than later, and now the possibility of playing with Chivas USA has become a reality. I’m definitely happy about that, and very excited – it’s a new experience for me.”

How have you adjusted to your new teammates?

“I really like this group of guys, and they’ve welcomed me in. I’d met many of them before, since Chivas USA had given me the chance to train here in the past during vacations from the Mexican season. I already knew most of the group, and so now I’m very happy to be a part of the team, and already comfortable within the squad.”

What are your thoughts on the play in MLS?

“It’s a tough league, and the level keeps improving. In comparison with the Mexican league, I think it’s more difficult to play here in MLS because the physical level is so high, the teams are so well organized, and you have to play much faster.”

In other Chivas USA news:
  • Midfielders Diego Scotti and Erik Hummel have left the preseason camp.
  • Forward Eduardo Lillingston, signed March 9, has received his P-1 work visa and is now (like Trujillo) only awaiting his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) before he is eligible for MLS action.