Friday, August 8

Shavar Thomas ready for Kansas City



Chivas USA’s Shavar Thomas smiles when he remembers Kansas City, a place where he spent three years of his MLS career. On Friday, the Jamaican defender returned to the City of Fountains with one thing in mind: getting three points.
“I played three wonderful years in Kansas City. We won the Open Cup and finished second in the league to D.C. But now, it’s all about Chivas and what we do in the game. We need to win and get back on track,” said Thomas, who arrived with the rest of his teammates Friday afternoon in the Show Me State, where they will face the Wizards on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. CT / 5:00 p.m. PT at CommunityAmerica Ballpark (TV: FSN Prime Ticket, KAZA Azteca 54; Radio: W Radio 690 AM).
“It’s a very important game. They’re a very good team. They have very good players. We are expecting a great challenge,” said Thomas.
Added Chivas USA defender Carey Talley, who spent two years with Wizards (2002-2003): “It’s always nice to come back to a place where you played… I’m going to see a couple of guys that played with me.”

First road trip for Nurse

Chivas USA forward Roberto Nurse was excited on Friday to be available for Saturday’s game.
“I’m very happy about it. I’ve been working very hard … now I have to take advantage of the opportunity,” said Nurse, who made his Chivas USA debut in SuperLiga against Mexican champion Santos.



Olympic fever

Several Chivas USA players expressed their excitement about the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing and look forward to following the event closely.
“I enjoy watching it… I hope the U.S. gets back on track in basketball”, said defender Jim Curtin, who says he enjoys several Olympic disciplines, such as soccer and basketball. “I don’t follow up a lot on the obscure ones such as judo but I do follow [the Olympics] a lot.”
Said forward forward Atiba Harris: “I watch athletics, especially. There are runners from Saint Kitts and Nevis representing [my] country… Whenever it’s time for those races, I go and watch them all.”